[Pmwiki-users] Idea for extension of special list syntax

chr@home.se chr
Thu Jan 20 07:19:50 CST 2005

Hi

This is an idea I think I've suggested before but I can't remember what
happened...

I've noticed that I often (mainly in emails) write like this:

* Here is an item
* Here is another item with a very long line that I have to continue on
  another line. Notice how I, in a rather natural way, simply indent it
  using spaces but it still seem to belong to this item.
* A third and final item.
** A second level item. This item also has a very long line to illustrate
   how I'd intedent this line.

In PmWiki we'd write

* Here is another... long line .... \
continued item.

or possibly

* Here is another... long line .... \
  continued item.

What I'm suggesting is that you don't have to use the '\' to signify that
the item continues, but instead use the indentation for this purpose. How
it'd look is illustrated above.

The main advantage is that it looks natural (to me), and this is how I
already write. I think it's natural for people reading the source to see
that the indented text belongs to the same item.

Some disaadvantages I can think of are as follows:
* Possible confusion with the markup for 'code'
* People might expect the position of line breaks to be preserved
  (a forced line break would still require '\\' at the end of a line)

Thoughts, comments and suggestions?

/Christian

PS. I'd definitely like to use this markup in my wikis, even if it could
cause a clash with code indentation.

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr