[Pmwiki-users] Idea for extension of special list syntax

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Thu Jan 20 08:32:25 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:44:19AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-01-20  03:19 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> >* Here is another... long line .... \
> >  continued item.
> >
> >What I'm suggesting is that you don't have to use the '\' to signify that
> >the item continues, but instead use the indentation for this purpose. How
> >it'd look is illustrated above.
>
> I must be missing your point.
>
> If I put these lines into PmWIki:
> * short item
> * longer item
> * this is an incredibly long item that will end up occupying several lines
> in a list but PmWiki will very cleverly indent subsequent lines to  match
> the indent after the bullet
>
> the indentation of the 3rd item is automatic.

In the rendering it's automatic.  What he wants is for the indentation
to be part of the markup.

Rather than ending a line with \ to signify continuation to the next
line, he wants an indented line to signify that it's a continuation of
the previous line.  His point is to make the markup look just as
pretty as the rendering I think. So, your long line above would be
written like so:

* this is an incredibly long item that will end up occupying several
  lines in a list but PmWiki will very cleverly indent subsequent lines
  to match the indent after the bullet

And rendered similarly.  No \ at the end of lines; no really long line
that wraps around; just 3 "short" lines and some indentation.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com