[Pmwiki-users] Idea for extension of special list syntax

Neil Herber nospam
Fri Jan 21 08:07:42 CST 2005

At 2005-01-21  07:38 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>  In addition
>to being able to continue the text of a list item, authors would also
>like to be able to embed paragraphs, and even preformatted text, within
>list items.  So, I'd prefer to explore solutions that enable this
>capability as well, rather than stop short with just the continue
>the current paragraph within a list item.

In the interest of sticking to PmWiki principles and making it easiest for
writers, I would suggest that any markup that relies on the number of
leading spaces to determine nesting level is a "bad thing" (TM Martha Stewart).

Its is impossible to see the spaces, and counting them requires counting
right-arrow movements.

Some kind of visible markup should be used. For example:

         * primary item
         * secondary item
         ** sub secondary item
         > same level as secondary but no hanging bullet
         * tertiary item

Is it even possible to render this in HTML? Are we asking PmWiki to do
things that  word processors can't do? (Not to start a feature war, just a
reality check on what authors might expect to be able to do.)

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668