[Pmwiki-users] Motivation for special line continuation (was: Idea for extension..)

chr@home.se chr
Sat Jan 22 09:49:50 CST 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-01-22  04:39 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> >Now you could argue.. "well, so just put everything on a single line?",
> >but then I'm back to not knowing the difference between a real line break,
> >and something that's put there because of the width of the edit form.
>
> An excellent point, and this problem is solved in text editors (and even
> Word!) by having a method of making whitespace characters visible. Then I
> can see the paragraph marks, tabs and spaces!

Ahem... IMO most editors (above plain text and some of the advanced ones)
solve this particular problem for lists by placing the remainder of the
automatically broken line in an indented position...

In case my explanation is incomprehensible, just create a list item in
MS-Word or similar software and start typing until you find that the
cursor is placed on the next line. Now note that the cursor position is
slightly indented, indicating that this is a continuation of the item.

(There's still a possibility that the user did a 'hard-break' at the end
of the previous line, in which case that 'character' often is shown with
some special symbol. However, all white space doesn't have to be 'verbose'
to solve this problem).

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr