[pmwiki-users] Disabling WikiWords

Wade Hudson whudson at igc.org
Mon Jan 24 12:30:01 CST 2005

With our site, http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org, I’m considering
disabling WikiWords, which I gather is an option.

1) How can I do so?
2) Would you recommend against it?

I’m concerned that doing so might deter experienced wiki users from
contributing. Otoh, experienced wiki users would know how to use a pipe
to display a WikiWord.

One concern of mine is that we will be including the names of many
websites that use the CamelBack format in the name of their
organization. Presently, in those instances, I must use [=
prevent forming an undesired link.

Another concern is that in general, I prefer that the site display
regular words. They are easier to read and less puzzling to novices who
suspect that the author made a typo.

Also, orienting new authors to how to use the site is more complicated
if you have to explain to them that there are two options for creating
references: WikiWords and double brackets. If I use both options, it
complicates the learning curve.

It seems to me that the main advantage of WikiWords is that they are a
bit easier in the first instance and each re-typing creates a reference
automatically. But our site will consist mostly of listings of
individual resources and probably will not include all that many
references to other parts of the site. So I’m inclined to avoid
WikiWords.

What do you think? And how can I disable them if I choose to do so?