[pmwiki-users] how does one encode "file:" link in a wiki page?

Gautam H. Thaker gthaker at atl.lmco.com
Tue Jan 25 09:16:14 CST 2005

> The problem is strictly one of syntax and the differences in the way
> browsers interpret the leading slashes in file:-urls.  However, we
> might be able to solve the problem using a "dynamic InterMap link" --
> i.e., we could create an InterMap link in config.php that would
> correctly translate to the correct file:/// syntax depending on the
> type of browser being used to load the wiki page.  If you can get
> me examples of file:- urls that work (and don't work) in each
> browser, I'll prototype some code for you to do this.

OK, on mozilla 1.7.3 on RH Linux (EL3), the following entries in the
"destination" properly find a file.

file:/home/gthaker/file

and

file:///home/gthaker/file

In both the cases above once I hit the <Enter> on the keyboard the display says:

file:///home/gthaker/file

I also tested

file://home/gthaker/file

This does NOT work.

> Pm

FOr us it would be really neat to be able to encode file URLs in wiki.

Another nice thing would be to be able to embed links to a particular email in a
particular folder. I realize this has nothign to do with file:<url> and I hate
to mention it here, but while we are in the "wish list" mode. I know google on
windows has some nice way to deal wtih emails, but that is a bit different. Just
a thought.

Gautam