[pmwiki-users] search robot indexing

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Wed Jan 26 08:54:16 CST 2005

At 2005-01-26  02:29 PM +0000, Hans Bracker is rumored to have said:
>I am wondering what the best practise is to set up pmwiki regards to
>search robots, for an installation which should be indexed, but in a
>safe way and avoiding exploits from wiki spammers.

If you are concerned with well behaved robots, such as Google, they all
follow the robots exclusion protocol which you can implement by simply
including a text file at your server root. This text file does require
manual maintenance as groups are added and so on.

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html

I thought I remembered seeing some PmWiki markup for a group header that
generated the appropriate "nofollow" meta-tags for the page. I can't find
any references to it now. Perhaps Patrick can confirm?

Note that neither of these methods does anything to deflect spammers and
vandals. They just give you control over how your site is indexed by the
good guys.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/