[pmwiki-users] search robot indexing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 27 07:54:01 CST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 02:29:16PM +0000, Hans Bracker wrote:
> I am wondering what the best practise is to set up pmwiki regards to
> search robots, for an installation which should be indexed, but in a
> safe way and avoiding exploits from wiki spammers.

As distributed, PmWiki adds <meta content='robots' ... /> tags
automatically to every page.  For normal browsing of pages not
in the PmWiki group, the value is "index,follow"; for all other
actions (edit, upload, diff, etc.) the value is "noindex,nofollow".

The pages in the PmWiki group are not indexed, except for the PmWiki.PmWiki
page itself.

Admins can explicitly control the value of the robots tag by setting
$MetaRobots in a configuration file.  The robots tag can be disabled
entirely by setting $MetaRobots to "".