[pmwiki-users] Make URLs not case sensitive?

Claude Montpetit claude at montpetit.net
Fri Jan 28 09:00:54 CST 2005

>>I am running a wiki on a Linux server. The URLs are case sensitive so:
>>
>>http://otterprojectonline.info/pmwiki/main --> 404 error
>>http://otterprojectonline.info/pmwiki/MAIN --> wiki page not found error.
>>
>>Is there any way to turn this off and make it that all of the above
>>URLs go to pmwiki/Main ?
>
> Case insensitivity is hard to achieve on OS's that aren't already
> case insensitive.  The only reliable way to do it is to convert filenames
> to lowercase before reading/writing files (i.e., wiki.d/main.homepage
> and local/main.homepage.php).  I've been thinking about providing this
> as an option -- how many people would be interested in such a feature?

I do not care about case insensitivity, but I would like my URLs to have
lowercase first letters for groups and page names. I implemented the
CleaURLs suggestion so my URLs are like:

   example.com/Fr/UnePage

but I would prefer to use

   example.com/fr/unePage

This is not a critical issue. I can live very well with 'Fr/UnePage' but
I find lower case for the first letter more standard.

Claude