[pmwiki-users] suggestion for continuously improving PmWiki documentation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 13:52:58 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 02:11:11PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:

> I really like your idea of a Q&A page. I would go so far as to suggest a
> new group: PmWiki/Questions

Er, I hope you mean "PmWikiQuestions" for the group name.  :-)

> For example, I could post my question about cron jobs for PmWiki under
> Windoze to PmWiki/Questions/CronForWindows.

PmWiki (and certainly pmwiki.org) doesn't do multiple-level-hierarchical
names.  :-)

> Although they might not stumble on the page immediately, anyone doing a
> search for "cron" should find it.

We've had several attempts at building a PmWiki.FAQ document, but somehow
it gets a bit too unwieldy to work with as a single document, and when it
got split up into separate documents it wasn't always obvious where to ask
the question (or how to find it).  Having each question as a separate
document is a possibility.  But any time we add more places to look for
information, we run into the problem of giving ourselves even more places
to look for the information (without a good guide or roadmap for where to
look).

Much of the Cookbook is designed as a "FAQ" resource -- this is why
the cookbook pages I've posted all begin with "!!!Question" and
"!!!Solution".  Whether this is appropriate, or whether it would work for
unanswered questions is itself an open question.  :-)