[pmwiki-users] Reasons for/against Disabling WikiWords

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 14:50:21 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 03:34:31PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> The difference between AccidentalLinks and <a ...>accidental links</a>
> is how much extra work it took to make each of them.

Agreed.  Wiki helps immensely in creating links to other pages on the
same site, which is the more common case, and the difference between
typing AccidentalLinks and [[accidental links]] isn't great at all.
However, it wasn't until long after WikiWords were an established norm
that people began to regonize this.

And WikiWords do have a cleverness factor about them that is somewhat
enticing.  :-)

> Maybe we should make a page on pmwiki.org for new admins with advice
> about deciding whether they should use WikiWords or [[free links]].

I think an advice page such as this is an excellent idea.  But we
should be careful not to present it as "either/or".  I think that
every site should (and will) use [[free links]]; the main question
is whether having WikiWords also enabled is a useful or detracting feature
for the site.