[pmwiki-users] Markup engine global improvement

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Jul 6 19:29:35 CDT 2005

On Thursday, 7 July 2005 1:42 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 08:49:53AM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:
>> Following some threads about markup internal improvements (aka. Keep()), I
>> was thinking of some major improvements that could be made to the engine
>> itself:
>> Encapsulate all the markup stuff into a class (as it has already been made
>> for PageStore). This way, it could be a lot easier for the engine to
>> generate something else than (x)html from wiki page: pdf,
>latex, rss,...
>
>This would be much later in development, if ever.  It's just way outside
>of the PmWikiPhilosophy and core.  Also, OO stuff tends to alienate a lot
>of potential developers and people who may want to implement simple
>customizations.  (Yes, this can be fixed somewhat with wrapper
>scripts.)
>
>However, I'll also note that John Rankin has successfully done some
>work in the area of creating and maintaining alternate output formats,
>so it's definitely possible within the existing framework.
>
>Pm

Having used the PmWiki engine to transform wiki markup to a DTD
other than xhtml, on the way to producing pdf, I can testify
that the Markup(...) approach works beautifully. Indeed, through
namespaces, you can even transform wiki markup into output that
uses tags from more than one dtd and it can still, with care,
just work.

For an example, see
http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Pdf2you.HomePage?action=print&format=pdf

View the source to see the xml generated. This is done by
substituting the stdmarkup.php and wikistyles.php in local/
settings.

We give this output to a pdf engine to create a printable version.

--
JR