[pmwiki-users] Re: Div Markup + Wiki Styles for Image Placement

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sat Jul 9 06:26:02 CDT 2005

Hagan,

On Saturday 09 July 2005 19:57, H. Fox wrote:
> On 7/9/05, Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au> wrote:
> > > combined with %align=right% and %align=right% seems to work nicely in
> > > PmWiki 2.  Those margin values were arrived at through experimentation
> > > in the version 1 wiki.
> [snip]
> > "combined with %align=right% and %align=left%"  -- no?  Would
%align=center%
> > work, too?
>
> It seems not to work for %align=center%, but I only need left and
> right for what I want to accomplish, which is the ability to sprinkle
> images around the site and have the text wrap around the images with
> adequate white space (margin) between the text and the images.
>
> Often I stagger the images within pages (zig-zag style) to get some
> visual balance.
> Example: http://qdig.sourceforge.net/Qdig/AboutQdig
>
> > BTW, in my very limited experience with clients on our pcug-pmwiki
> > (http://www.pcug.org.au/oss/2/pmwiki.php),
> > I had some users asking about the margin around pictures and claiming that
> > this was the most important feature that was missing from pmwiki.
>
> I'm glad it wasn't just me.  :-)
>
> >  So IMHO it
> > would be a worth-while feature in the "out of the box" pmwiki.
> >
> > My home pmwiki (on localhost) is beta40 (and will probably be updated
> > tonight) , but the pcug-pmwiki is still beta36. I have grown scared of
> > updating, but will do so to get the "margin around pictures" for our
users.

> I think you should upgrade, if only to get the new (:div:) markup
> feature.  Here's my "script" (command history) for upgrading PmWiki on
> one of my servers.
>
>    cd /tmp
>    wget http://www.pmichaud.com/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-latest.tgz
>    tar -zxvf pmwiki-latest.tgz
>    cp -a pmwiki-2.0.beta43/. /var/www/wiki/
>    rm -rf /tmp/pmwiki-*
>
> It's pretty easy.

Yes, indeed it is easy.  I've did it a few times.  Just that I get scared of
loosing the information during the upload (has not happened - so far, but as
the amount of information grows, the danger of loosing it begins to scare
me).  Also, I do not have shell access to the our ISP; (TIP - The Internet
Project. It was started jointly by PCUG and by AUUG - Aus. Unix Users Group -
some 10 years ago.  It was once upon a time the only publicly available ISP
in Canberra.)  All the updates I have done, were done with ftp, though that
worked remarkably well.

OK, I will do it, as soon as I gather the courage for it...

> That said, you probably don't need to upgrade to get margins around
> your images.  Try putting this
>
> $HTMLStylesFmt[] = " #wikitext img {
>   margin-left:5px; margin-right:8px;
>   margin-bottom:1px; margin-top:4px;}\n";

That looks such a great idea!  Would it work with beta43?  I will certainly
try it on my "localhost".

Hagan, nice of you to reply so promptly - thank you.

Al.

--
Algis Kabaila  http://www.pcug.org.au/~akabaila