[pmwiki-users] How to keep spammers away from my wiki?

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sat Jul 9 17:18:31 CDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 11:52 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:47:34PM +0200, list at linuxing.de wrote:
>>  How can
>> I make the wiki save from spammers and at the same time avoid strict
>> auth mechanism?
>>

> You should definitely take a look at urlapprove.php (in the scripts
> directory) and Blocklist in the cookbook.  These have proven to be
> very effective at blocking spam on pmwiki.org.

I have a large open-edit site protected by my Blocklist2 script (see
the PmWiki site Cookbook) -- running for MONTHS with the blocklist
seed I put on the PmWiki site, and no one has gotten through yet.

The page on PmWiki is documented for various things you should do to
create a blocklist, and has a downloadable sample for seeding your
blocklist.

>> I was thinking of using one pw for almost all pages and another one
>> for my more secure pages. Ca I easily set one for all pages and then
>> got to the special pages and change the pw while keeping the other pw
>> for the rest of the pages?
>>

> Yes, just set a site-wide password that covers the "almost all pages",
> then set group or page passwords for the special pages that you want
> to be more secure.

I haven't had a need to do this.  Of course with the topic of your
site, your experience may vary.  I'm around if you need assistance
editing your config files or adding the Blocklist page to your wiki.

Crisses
----
All I want is something good
It gets harder every time