[pmwiki-users] Re: Page-wide "Prevent Formatting"

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jul 10 18:54:11 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 11:43:37PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > Directives are markup in the form of (:something:).  We could potentially
> > use a double `` to indicate disabling a WikiWord for the remainder of
> > the page, but I think some other cookbook recipes may be using `` as
> > a markup.  Anyone know if this is true?
>
> Just a gues... but could `` be used to produce a single ` ?

Probably not -- it doesn't seem to be needed, at least not in the
distributed version of PmWiki.  The only time ` has special meaning
is when it's in front of a WikiWord, and in the rare case that an
author needs a ` immediately in front of a WikiWord it can be written as
`[==]WikiWord or `WikiWord .

DaveG's suggestion that `WikiWord automatically disables
it as a WikiWord for the remainder of the page makes *excellent*
sense to me.  An author can always force a later link by using
[[WikiWord]], and in the odd case that an author wants to suppress
just one instance of a WikiWord but leave later ones enabled,
they can use [=WikiWord=] for the suppression.

Unless anyone has an objection, I think I'll implement this particular
feature.

Pm

P.S.:  A brief reminder to folks about the $WikiWordCountMax variable,
which can be used to limit the number of times a WikiWord is treated
as a link in a page.  :-)