[pmwiki-users] which password for sidebar.edit ?

Hans design at flutesong.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 01:38:56 CDT 2005

Wednesday, July 13, 2005, 3:50:54 AM, Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:33:28PM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
>> This group is by default only accessible using the admin password which
>> can be configured in your local/config.php:
>>
>> $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('very secret password');
>>
>> Is there a way to disable that default password? Or is the only way to
>> allow others to edit the SideBar to create a Main/SideBar?

> You can set the edit password for Site.SideBar to "nopass".

I find this a very unsatisfying situation. I would prefer the SideBar
to have no edit protection as default, and let an admin add protection
as needed later. It severely limits the joy of
"out-of-the-box-ready-to-go" functionality, and limits the idea of an
open wiki.

I also would like to see a default Site.Site page, so that going to
"Site" does not go to nowhere, but to a page, which can contain links
to the Site configuration pages, possibly with some advise to the new
admin how to unlock the group, edit the sidebar etc.

PmWiki.InitialSetupTasks should also describe what to do to get
access to the site group and to the SideBar.

Best,
~Hans