[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Using AllRecentChanges as a shared page between fields

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jul 24 14:33:51 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 06:10:05PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > The reason I didn't create a separate directory for this is that it
> > means creating another webserver-writable directory that has to be
> > protected from browsers somehow, and I felt things were generally
> > simpler if all of the protected files were kept in one place rather
> > than multiplying it to two or more.
>
> For these temporary files, I can't see why you don't simply use /tmp?
> Isn't that (or something similar) available in windows?

1. Because /tmp isn't writable under safe_mode.
2. Because cleanup processes sometimes come in and destroy the files
   in /tmp, which isn't always helpful to PmWiki.
3. Not every OS has /tmp.  In the case of Windows, PmWiki has to
   guess (a) if it's running under windows and (b) where the "temp
   directory is actually located.

> PS. I am aware that you can't use a single temporary directory for all the
> possible pmwikis that run on a single server. Instead you'd have to do
> something like
> [omitted]
> where 'a', or 'b' need to be something derived from e.g. the name of each
> site.

Actually, it has to be derived from the current directory.  On many
installations (such as pmwiki.org, but there are more) there are
multiple domain names that map to the same site, so there's a many-to-one
correspondence between urls and sites.

And if we need to be keying off of the current directory anyway, we
might as well just use something relative to it to hold the temporary
files (especially .flock).