[pmwiki-users] trail bookmarks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 25 18:43:44 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 12:11:35AM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >The webserver never sees the #anchor part -- it's not sent by the
> >browser.
>
> Hmm... then how come that
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditVariables?action=diag
>
> gives me diagnostic output but
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditVariables#DeleteKeyPattern?action=diag
>
> doesn't? If the browser elided the anchor name, the server should see
> two identical URLs. (I can't think of an easy way to test this right now
> - it's a bit too late for me.)

RFC 3986 says that url fragments (indicated by the '#') have to go
after any query string component.  In fact, url fragments are explicitly
allowed to contain many special characters such as question marks, slashes,
ampersands, equals signs, etc.

So, in the second url above, everything after the '#' is considered
part of the url fragment, and all that the browser sends to the
webserver is

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditVariables

so there's no diagnostic output.