[pmwiki-users] How do I only let authorized users edit pages?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jul 26 09:06:54 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 06:27:04PM -0700, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> --- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >  It's *far* easier for me to tell my small groups of editors
> > "the edit password is 'xyz'" than it is for me to require each one of
> > them to register, be added to a list of authorized editors, and
> > have to worry about what to do when one of them forgets their individual
> > password.
>
> I see your point Patrick, and it makes a lot of sense. I can always
> just email a password to the folks that request one. It only takes
> a moment to ssh in to the server and add a line to my config.php.

Just for clarity:  On my systems I don't even have usernames or need
to adjust the config.php.  I just email the current edit password
to whoever requests it.

> In the future, it might be nice to have an admin page that someone
> with the admin password can visit, listing all the wiki users
> [...] and
> showing checkboxes to give or deny edit privileges...

This model seems to assume that edit privileges are to be granted
for the entire site as a whole or not at all.  In nearly all of the
sites I run or work with, I need to be able to grant edit privileges
to some areas of the site but not others.

Also, on many of my sites I'm not the only person setting access
controls; I want authors to be able to set up their own access-controlled
areas of the wiki without having to coordinate with me to do it.