[pmwiki-users] `WikiWord disables WikiWord ?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Jul 26 21:03:08 CDT 2005

On Wednesday, 27 July 2005 1:19 PM, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:
>Just as an FYI, if you define a WikiWordCount word, and then someone
>unknowingly uses the `, you end up with the ` not being stripped. Which
>would mean if an acronym was introduced and ignored using ` syntax, and
>then that word was added to the WikiWordCount, pages get littered with
>the prefixed `.

All the more reason to use an approach that treats wiki words with
only one lower case letter as plain text and to recognise a ` prefix.
Using a wikiwordcount is not really a systematic way of dealing with
abbreviations, as there will always be ones missing from the list.

The markup extensions do this, but a quick fix is to add the following
to the config.php file:

## prevent wikiwords with only one lower case letter
SDV($AbbreviationPattern,
  "[[:upper:]]+(?:[[:upper:]][[:lower:]]|[[:lower:]][[:upper:]])[[:upper:]]*");

Markup("abbr",'>[[',"/`?\\b($AbbreviationPattern)\\b/e","Keep('$1')");

An author can still make a link using [[TLAs]].

It's arguably more natural for an author to think 'I want to make
this a link' than 'I want to prevent this from being a link'. In
my experience, people don't think about things like abbreviation
plurals being wiki words until they see the annoying new page
question mark.

--
JR