[pmwiki-users] Re: Numbered lists and multi-paragraph

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jul 27 01:26:08 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:37:01AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> Anyway, as for the second case with the enumerated list, I was reminded of
> how easy it is in Lyx to create arbitrarily compliated list. The principle
> was that each "element" had a "nesting level". So when you wanted a
> paragraph of normal text to not break a list, you simply increased the
> nesting level of that paragraph. As a side effect, this also indented the
> paragraph by default. Taking inspiration from there, maybe we could do it
> with this kind of markup:
>
> ----------------
> # First item
> -> Nested paragraph - does *not* break enumeration (due to the '->')
> # Second item

A couple of quick observations... first, we already have a -> markup,
although I'm not opposed to changing it for something like this,
and second, it seems a little odd to me that "->" (two characters)
results in the same nesting level as '#' (one character).

Also, there are a couple of places where we could really use an
explicit "new paragraph" markup.  In particular, one cannot
presently do this:

    %center%  This text is centered
    %right% This text is right aligned

because the second line is considered part of the paragraph begun
by the first line.

But I think using the --> markup to mean "control nesting level"
as opposed to simply "indent" is one of the best ideas we've
had on this topic in a very long time.  If we could eliminate
the character count mismatch I'd be all over it.  As it is I'm
hoping for something slightly better (but may not hold my breath
for it and might just go with ->).

Makes me wish we could somehow use '»' here.  :-)  (For those who
cannot see the character in the quotes, it's the » symbol.)

> But I think I'd prefer redefining '->' to mean increasing the
> nesting level, and have it indent normal paragraphs as a
> side/styling effect.

As opposed to phrasing this as "increase nesting level" I think we
should simply say that --> is "move to nesting level", using any
existing open block at that level if it exists, and creating new
indented nested levels if it doesn't.