[pmwiki-users] Numbered lists and multi-paragraph

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 28 21:21:26 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:48:19PM -0400, DaveG wrote:
>    I suspect *most* user do not use a tty interface, and thus are not in the
>    habit of hitting cr every 60 chars. It sounds like, for the sake of a few
>    'techie' user  the // syntax was introduced.

No, I was being *completely* honest when I said in my message that
it's an almost perfect 50-50 split between those who want lines
to join across carriage returns versus those who want them
to be line breaks.  It isn't for the sake of a "few techies", and
as far as I've been able to judge the split isn't even between
"techies" and "non-techies".

> > However, one is not entirely stuck with this choice; the recipe at
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LineBreaks shows how to switch
> > to having carriage returns insert breaks.
>
> I'll take a look. Would be nice to provide a nice consistent interface for
>  editors as standard though :)

Very well... I'll point out that Wikipedia joins lines across carriage
returns in almost exactly the same way that PmWiki does.  Given that
Wikipedia has literally thousands of (non-techie?) editors, I figure
that PmWiki should remain consistent with that standard for
their sakes.  :-) :-)