[pmwiki-users] Expaneded search results display

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jul 31 09:22:04 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 02:12:22PM +0000, Anno wrote:
> It would be convenient if it would be possible to expand the display
> possibilities  of the search results:
> 1. The search reults should optionaly display the title
> of the page, as opposed to only the page name

> 2. The context of the search result should optionaly  be shown, as in Google,
> example http://www.google.com/search?q=pmwiki+result
> 3. The option to paginate the search results

These are a bit trickier, and are being left as recipe extensions.

PmWiki's search function is not intended to be a complete search engine;
it's just a simple search implementation.  This is also why the search
for character entities in pages isn't seamless.

At some point it becomes better to simply recommend that sites
install a third-party search engine (which can also search more than
just wiki pages) than to try to reinvent an entire search engine in PmWiki.
I've played a little bit with swish-e (www.swish-e.com); at some point
I'd like to write a cookbook recipe that describes how to set it up
to work nicely with PmWiki.