[pmwiki-users] Re: off-topic: Behaviour of non-existiant home page (was: Nested groups)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Jun 3 02:31:44 CDT 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-06-02  10:53 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >I'll be the first to admit that the current behavior isn't entirely
> >obvious, but I'm also uncertain as to what the better alternative is.
> >It doesn't seem entirely right to me that Main.PageNotFound appears
> >up for every non-existent page, but perhaps that's what it should
> >be.  (We'd also have to carefully consider webcrawler ramifications.)

I just looked at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test1 and now it works as it
should. However, maybe the text could be improved for this particular
case? Currently it says:

	We couldn't find a page called "Test1". You can:

	* Create Test1.Test1?
	* Create Test1.HomePage?
	* Create Main.Test1?

	Or, perhaps the page you want is listed below:

	Test1 /
	  NewPage
	  RecentChanges
	  SomePage

I think one thing that is confusing here (when the user only specified the
name of a group) is the phrase

	We couldn't find a page called "Test1". You can:
	* Create ...

If we had a hiearchical structure where there could actually be a page
called simply /Test1, then the sentence makes sence. In this case however,
don't we mean something more like

	We couldn't find a primary page for the group "Test1". You can:
	* Create ...

	The pages in group "Test1" are listed below.

The drawback with this is of course that the same phrase cannot be used if
the person had actually specified a page within some group...  I guess we
could either use separate "error-pages" for these cases, or use
conditional statements to produce different texts?

/Christian

Btw, I remember us having more or less this discussion a while back...
does anyone have a link to those posts? What was the reason we chose the
current solution?