[pmwiki-users] Organizing a site (Was: Utility pages)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Wed Jun 15 06:24:14 CDT 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

Patrick mentioned using Site as a candidate for the group that will
contain various 'utility' pages. That reminded me about how I'm currently
trying organize wiki.lyx.org using among other things a group called
Site/. Some things to note:
* I'll be using several fields, called e.g. 'LyX': and 'Devel:'
* The group Site/ will be shared by all fields
* The page Site.SideBar is set to be the default sidebar

I'm then planning to roughly create Site.SideBar as follows:

Site.SideBar:
	<Some common text and links in the beginning>
	(:include Field.Field-SideBar:)
	(:include Field.SideBar-{$group}:)
	<Some common text and links in the end>

The idea here is that the shared page Site.SideBar will be used as the
sidebar for all pages in all fields. That page (Site.SideBar) then
includes Field.Field-SideBar which is specific to the current field. Next
it includes another page, Field.SideBar-{$group}, that is specific to the
current group. The group specific page could of course be called something
else, like {$group}.Group-SideBar - that depends on where you'd like to
store the group specific sidebars. I think I'll prefer to have them all in
the group Field/.

Anyway, to be really explicit, here's an example of the pages I might get.
Note that I'm preceeding the shared pages with 'shared:' for clarity:

  shared:Site.SideBar
  shared:Site.SearchWiki
  shared:Site.PageNotFound
  shared:Site.ApprovedUrls
  shared:Site.Blocklist
  shared:Site.Help		- Help specific for this site
  shared:Site.FAQ		- FAQ for this site
  shared:Site.Navigation	- Help on how to navigate the site
  shared:Site.EditQuickReference - Mabye move here?
  shared:Site.UploadQuickReference - Maybe move here?
  shared:Site.EditForm
  shared:Site.ActionList  	- Proposed, maybe move here?

  LyX:LyX/LyX			- Main page for the LyX field
  LyX:Field.Field-SideBar	- Sidebar specific to the LyX:-field
  LyX:Field.SideBar-LyX		- Sidebar specific to the LyX/-group
  LyX:Field.AllRecentChanges
  LyX:Field.AllRecentUploads

  Devel:Devel/Devel		- Main page for the Devel field
  Devel:Field.Field-SideBar	- Sidebar specific to the Devel:-field
  Devel:Field.SideBar		- Sidebar specific to the Devel-group
  Devel:Field.AllRecentChanges
  Devel:Field.AllRecentUploads

Note that AllRecentChanges is *not* in the shared group. The reason is
that page names are not unique across several fields, i.e. there might be
a Main.HomePage in both the field LyX: and the field Devel:.

Also note that for pages such as 'PageNotFound', 'SearchWiki' etc the
pmwiki engine should ideally first look in the group Field/ and then look
in the group Site/. That would make it easy to override the default pages
in a separate field while still maintaining reasonable defaults.

Having written the above, I wonder if it might be better to call the group
'Site' for something like 'Shared' or 'SiteShared' instead - so that the
shared aspect is emphasized. In that case we'd have these groups:

	shared:Shared.SideBar
	LyX:Field.SideBar-Lyx

/Christian