[pmwiki-users] sidebar not displaying UTF-8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 17 07:57:15 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:14:07PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> 1. I've tried editing the name of my language in the side-bar (the
> current words are a good try, but not accurate; I'm not sure they
> mean anything ;) ), but the preview shows question marks instead of
> accented vowels.

Because pmwiki.org's Main.SideBar is displayed on many pages (in many
different groups), it's important that its contents be ISO-8859-1,
and any characters outside of that set have to be specified
as character entities (i.e., &#...; or &...; ).

> Would it be OK to have the sidebar utf-8?

Keep in mind that character sets don't apply to included wiki pages,
but rather to the HTML the browser receives as a whole.  Thus there's
not a way to have a utf-8 sidebar embedded in an iso-8859-1 page --
XHTML just doesn't support that.

> 2. Although a lot of the interface is now translated into my
> language, the sidebar isn't. How do I translate that so my language
> community can understand what it does?

Create a group-specific sidebar at PmWikiVi.SideBar .

> 3. I'm not sure the utf-8 text works in anchor links. There were a
> couple in the TextFormattingRules page, and although I did them in
> the same way:
> [[#??anhSách?????nhNgh??a]]

Anchors correspond to url fragment identifiers (the id="..." attribute
in HTML).  According to the HTML specs, such identifiers can only
have characters from the set [A-Za-z0-9:_.-].