[pmwiki-users] Reason why pagetoc.php isn't used for Cookbook.Cookbook?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Jun 20 16:48:34 CDT 2005

On Tuesday, 21 June 2005 2:18 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>(Note for clarification:  I don't have any problem with enabling specific
>recipes on individual cookbook pages -- I'm just don't necessarily want
>to make them site-wide on pmwiki.org until they're part of a standard
>distribution.)
>
>Pm

In my head, I have started composing a message about wiki -> pdf,
which is very close to a beta 1 release. Meanwhile, let me just
note that I think it's going to be a case where group-wide
enabling is appropriate (site-wide would be nicer, but I agree
that this is not necessarily a good idea).

The wiki -> pdf engine lets an information seeker typeset:
- a single page
- all the pages on a trail (using publish trail)
- the backlinks to a page (selectable)
- the links on a page (selectable)
- search results (selectable)
- category links (selectable)
- PITS lists (using wikiforms)
- calendar entries (using wikicalendar)

So just enabling it for a single page would severely limit the
functionality.

Incidentally, it also becomes possible to output any of the above
to another XML dtd, such as Open Office, if you know the wiki ->
xml translation rules.

So setting up a demonstation group seems to me to be a useful
thing to do. I think this would allow one to typeset the
DocumentationIndex page, to produce a printable user manual,
but I haven't yet tested this particular option.

Not surprisingly, the above requires a package of scripts.

Thoughts?

--
JR