[pmwiki-users] Re: Reason why pagetoc.php isn't used for Cookbook.Cookbook?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Jun 20 21:35:41 CDT 2005

On Tuesday, 21 June 2005 12:53 PM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>John Rankin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 21 June 2005 10:52 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Patrick that enabling a particular recipe group-wide or
>> site-wide is potentially a problem. Visitors will reasonably expect
>> a feature they see in action to work when they download and install
>> pmwiki itself.
>
>I think I disagree with that reasoning.
>
>People are aware that pmwiki.org is different from local wikis. They
>know they can have all kinds of recipes, and - more visibly - they can
>install a different skin. Not having a given functionality is (from a
>non-programmer's perspective) just the same.
>
>I see a different problem though: recipes that aren't installed will
>make the wiki page look ugly since all the markup isn't available. I.e.
>assuming there's a (:pdf...:) markup that typesets the page on PDF, the
>wiki admin will just see those (:pdf...:) markups.
>What PmWiki *should* do in such a case is any of the following (in
>ascending order of preference for me):
>
>* Ignore the markup (i.e. display nothing)
>* Output a message saying "if PDF recipe were installed, this would be a
>link to the PDF version of this page".

And encourage authors to provide a link to a page on another site that
illustrates the effect of the markup.

Having said that, for many simple markups, activating them just on one
Cookbook recipe page is best, as long as Patrick doesn't mind the work.
It's just that this doesn't work for all recipes.

--
JR