[pmwiki-users] discussion pages?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Jun 21 12:37:15 CDT 2005

At 2005-06-21  12:14 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>This is why I'm thinking that a comments module should handle page name
>mangling more directly.  But additionally, a comments module should
>provide a mechanism that allows people to add a comment to a page
>without requiring edit permissions (i.e., there should be another
>permissions level for comments).  But mapping out the relationships
>between read->comments->edit permissions is just a bit tricky.

I was just looking for a quick and dirty (well, pretty clean, really) way
of allowing people to comment about edit-protected pages.

Jon Haupt's suggested using this markup on the edit protected page:

         [[Comments.{$Group}-{$Name} | Comments]]

I plan to put this markup in a group header on a protected group, so it
automatically creates the links.

In the actual comments group (which is not edit-protected in any way), I
would like to insert a group header that creates an automatic backlink:

         [[Group.Name]]

But i need markup that can parse the hyphenated comments page name.
Obviously there might be difficulties with pages that have hyphens in them,
but this is a very appealing technique that (except for backlinks) requires
no changes to PmWiki.

I have documented most of this here:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CommentPageLink

Neil