[pmwiki-users] authuser

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 14:51:38 CDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, crypt can already handle md5 encryptions.  I'm not sure about
> sha encryptions, though.  At any rate, in writing authuser I had some
> ideas for wrapping functions but getting the hooks in place can be a
> bit nasty (it's related to the same problem that requires $AuthUser to
> be set before the include statement).

The script didn't work on my system at first because I use md5
encryption in my .htpasswords file.  In other words, setting the
password with

htpasswd -nmb SomeUser somepw >>local/.htpasswd

does not work, but

htpasswd -nb SomeUser somepw >>local/.htpasswd

does.  My system passwords are also md5, so I presume the results
would be the same for a passwd.local file.

The PHP documentation says "The encryption type is triggered by the
salt argument."  Based on that, I would expect it to work
automagically.

The  authuser.php script is very useful and characteristically well
done.  Thanks Pm.

Hagan