[pmwiki-users] Re: Install/reinstall problem

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Jun 28 03:31:19 CDT 2005

Algis Kabaila wrote:
> I get the following error message:
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: session_id()
> in /home/al/public_html/xa/pmwiki.php on line 1222

This shouldn't happen.

> I remember that this happened with the old HDD, too.  I "solved" this problem
> by installing all the php (4.0?) packages I could find on the my SuSE 9.2
> distro CD's.

A SuSE mailing list post recommends installing the php4-session package
(probably instead of some other package - session support is compiled
right in, not added as a module).

> I now run SuSE 9.3 distro with kernel 2.6x.  Rather than
> installing all the php function packages I can lay my hands on, can you tell
> me which php packages are required to run pmwiki?  What php packages should I
> install and is it php 4 or php 5?

PmWiki should run just fine with either PHP4 or PHP5. I had issues with
the mailprotect module on 4.1.something, but the core ran just fine.

> For Sharon's benefit, I seem to recall that the permission problems can be
> mitigated if one copies files into wikilib.d directory and hopes that the
> pmwiki.php will cause the Apache to copy those files across to the wiki.d
> directory, with the correct owner, group and permissions, no?

That should work. However, I wouldn't recommend that: any future
upgrades may overwrite files that you have edited.

However, you could copy something like Test.Test to pmwiki.d, edit it so
it gets copied to wiki.d, check what ownership and permission were
applied by Apache, and change all files in wiki.d to match. (Don't
forget to clean up and remove Test.Test in both directories afterwards *g*.)

> PS: Whilst "session_id() " search in google returns over 1 000 000 hits, the
> information there is really too general to be useful for this specific
> purpose of running pmwiki.

I did "SuSE session_id" :-)

Regards,
Jo