[pmwiki-users] Re: <div> markup suggestions...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 1 12:13:52 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:27:22AM -0800, dan mcmullen wrote:
> i'm interested in the <div> issue because i want the kids to use styled
> boxes to distinguish 'voices' in wiki comments and discussion.

Yes, this is exactly one of the reasons I've been asking for a
shortcut markup.

> for now, "\\\" will work to effect pseudo-paragraph breaks, but
> a nice, compact way to have a box that extends across many elements
> would be good.  this could be a *very* commonly used technique.
>
> would it be possible to extend the existing WikiStyles syntax to support
> this?  "%block define=foo%" currently provide a block semantic that
> works for paragraphs, etc.

This already works, but only on the single-paragraph or single-block level.
There's not a way to extend over multiple blocks, which leads to...

> ... perhaps
> "%box define=foo%" could mean that the styles extends to the next "%%".
> (could this nest?)

IMO, requiring the closing %% or extending %style% across multiple lines
will simply make things very confusing.  It'll be far more confusing
if they nest.  So, I'm not in favor of this approach.

> using a box style would work the same way as other WikiStyles,
> minimizing syntactic overload.
> also, will the "(:div:)" syntax work with existing WikiStyles - e.g.
> "(:div:) %foo% ..."?

Yes, "(:div:) %foo%" will work (assuming "foo" is a WikiStyle defined
to work on block or div elements).  But it still points to a reason
for having some sort of div shortcut.  As you say, it just seems nicer
to be able to write my name or other identifier at the beginning of
a new section and have the entire section styled appropriately,
rather than having to write out (:div class='Patrick':).  Typing
the extra "(:div class=" is likely to get annoying.

> on a different note: is there a tweek that would make changing
> GroupAttributes possible only with an administrator password,
> even if there is an 'attr' password for the group?  i'd like the
> kids to be able to set edit passwords for their pages in our group, but
> not change the passwords for the group itself.  (this is not a big deal.)

Yes, there's a tweak that would do this, but it'll become unnecessary
in one of the next couple of minor releases when 'attr' passwords
inherit from any other password set.