[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: <div> markup suggestions...?

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:48:43 CST 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:03:19 +0100, chr at home.se <chr at home.se> wrote:
> Why do we have to call it 'div'? That's not going to be very
> understandable for most users...

It'll make more sense if we tell them it's short for division, which
it is.  Given that most people don't code HTML, and use word
processors as if they were typewriters, there's probably no handy term
to appropriate.  Div has a small advantage in that HTML geeks will
understand it.  The best alternatives are block, section, or chunk.

> borrowing from LaTeX, it could be 'env' (for environment).

Div is geeky enough without venturing into UNIX and LaTeX geekery. ;-)

I suggest we take a cue from the table markup, and provide both simple
and advanced methods.  Simple divs can't be nested, but their markup
is easy to write, because they'll be used frequently.  Advanced divs
can be nested, and have closing tags that allow both humans and PmWiki
to determine which closing tag belongs to which div.

Like Dan McMullen, I'd like block wikistyles to be able to contain
multiple paragraphs.  When I first encountered them, I expected a
block wikistyle to stay on until I turned it off.  (Disclaimer: I code
HTML.)  Does anybody have a good user-level reason for simple divs and
block wikistyles to stay separate?

Bronwyn