[pmwiki-users] Author missed suggestion

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:14:16 CST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:36:37 -0500, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
> OK, here's another thing I could not find using Search:
>
> Problem: I keep missing to fill the Author field (cos my laptop screen is
> small and the page doesn't fit.)
>
> How's this for a bit of usability:
>
> with two conditional strings on the edit page, one could achieve the following:
> - if Author is empty, put it after Editing <pagename>
> - if it's not empty, leave it at the end.
>
> I'm going to mod my version and see how it works.

The Light Skin's edit page has the following, hopefully usable, behavior.

If there's no $author variable set (no author cookie) you need to
discover the save button below the text area.  It's sandwiched between
the Author input area and the minor-edit checkbox to promote their
usage.

[Preview][v][Reset][...row of GUI buttons...]
[Preview][v][Reset]Author: ________[Save][ ] This is a minor edit

Once the author cookie is set, a Save button and Minor-edit checkbox
are added above the text area.

[Preview][v][Reset][Save][ ]Minor edit[...row of GUI buttons...]
[Preview][v][Reset]Author: ________[Save][ ] This is a minor edit

If you are authenticated via HTTP Authentication (.htaccess), the
author input area doesn't show and the Save button at the top does.

The little v's are button-looking links to an #anchor tag at the
bottom of the text area.  Click it to get to your preview page without
scrolling.  If you like what you see, you can click the Save button
(it's now at the very top of the screen).  If not, you can click the
Preview button to bring the text area back into view and continue
editing.

You can try the Light Skin edit page by using this link to test-browse
pmwiki.org using the Light Skin:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/WikiSandbox?setskin=light&action=edit

You can go back to the default with this link:
http://www.pmwiki.org/?setskin=

Suggestions for improvement are welcome on the Light Skin's page.

Hagan