[pmwiki-users] pass-protect access to skins?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 7 10:42:35 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:13:34AM -0500, Radu wrote:
> [...]
> It may happen with someone from a group to somehow notice a different group
> has a different skin and figure out how to switch it using the docs, then
> complain that he lost the functionality s/he was used to.
>
> In a way it's similar to uploads; one may design some functionality for one
> group and another set for another group, and encode that in a skin. Of
> course, maybe it's still better to divorce the look(skin) and feel(recipe
> set), but somehow that sounds like more work :) *lazy sob*

In general I think that skins should definitely be separated from markup,
but there are a lot of reasons why this wouldn't be the case.  And
doing so won't always solve the problem, as some skins may simply choose
not to implement certain markup features, wherever they may happen to
be placed.

> I looked around Cookbook and PITS and this doesn't seem to be implemented
> or requested anywhere.
> In case this suggestion has value to the community, should I add an issue
> of its own, or contribute this to an existing issue like PITS.00010?

Alas, I really don't understand how skins need to relate to passwording
at all as you've described in your message -- they seem to be totally
orthogonal issues.  At any rate, it needs its own PITS entry.