[pmwiki-users] on over-bundling

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Tue Mar 8 23:20:07 CST 2005

OK, I had started to re-arrange the Cookbook by hand by clustering related
entries. However, I realised there's a problem with this approach:
maintaining it.

Pro: A category-based list can be generated automatically, and it takes
less effort to put a category on one page than it takes to compare the
functionality of one page with that of many pages.

Con: On second hand, my initial try (using pagelist) takes about 20s for
two lists and 15s for Pm's Uploads page, while the much larger Cookbook
page takes a mere 2s. It may just be too tough on the server if we make a
whole lot of category pages.

Con: Another issue I have with ontologies of any kind: they're artificial.
The deeper these hierarchies go, the tougher to maintain them.

I think I'll go back to my original idea (clustering).

Comments?

At 11:44 PM 3/8/2005, John Rankin wrote:
>The first step in using categories is to develop a 'folksonomy' -- an
>informal vocabulary suitable for categorising the pages in question.
>These might be the names of the 'aggregator pages'.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)