[pmwiki-users] on over-bundling

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Wed Mar 9 10:05:10 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 12:20:07AM -0500, Radu wrote:
> OK, I had started to re-arrange the Cookbook by hand by clustering related
> entries. However, I realised there's a problem with this approach:
> maintaining it.
>
> Pro: A category-based list can be generated automatically, and it takes
> less effort to put a category on one page than it takes to compare the
> functionality of one page with that of many pages.
>
> Con: On second hand, my initial try (using pagelist) takes about 20s for
> two lists and 15s for Pm's Uploads page, while the much larger Cookbook
> page takes a mere 2s. It may just be too tough on the server if we make a
> whole lot of category pages.
>
> Con: Another issue I have with ontologies of any kind: they're artificial.
> The deeper these hierarchies go, the tougher to maintain them.
>
> I think I'll go back to my original idea (clustering).
>
> Comments?

If you're going to champion this task (yay Radu! :), I think using
categories would have the most long-term benefits.  Besides once, you
have the categories in place, "hand clustering" becomes ueber easy.
(i.e. you can automatically generate lists and then create a "static"
wiki page from it)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff