[pmwiki-users] GUIEdit in the Core (WAS: Perfection . . .)

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 08:19:03 CST 2005

> Well, just in case PM is wavering on his decision to include GUIedit in
> the core installation, I would argue that the GUIedit module is, if not
> >needed<, then extremely useful for what has historically been the
> primary feature of a Wiki:  the enabling of non-techies to participate
> in the creation of the wiki with a minimum of training.  I think it is
> entirely appropriate that it is disabled by default, but it seems to me
> that the benefits of GUIedit are of use to a sufficiently large segment
> of potential installations that having it in the core makes perfect
> sense under PMPhilosophy.

Very, very valid point. "While not necessary, the utility of the
feature is sufficient to overcome the philosophical desire to restrict
feature creep."

Sorry, that's enough to persuade me that "in the core, but not active
by default." Although, (this shows some of my naivete in IT) would it
not be better to have it as an includable file, rather than have the
weight of the code in memory--in terms of optimizing. Or, is that
getting carried away?

--
Ben Wilson
" Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"