[pmwiki-users] Wiki Kernel: A Concept (WAS: Re: on over-bundling)

V.Krishn mistyfire at autograf.pl
Sat Mar 12 20:24:45 CST 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 11:50, pmichaud at pobox.com wrote:

....snip....

> > > Now, I had suggested to Pm that a more modular distribution might be a
> > > good idea.
> >
> > Perhaps.  You know, there's nothing stopping you from building your
> > own pmwiki-as-blog or pmwiki-as-cms distributions.  I'm sure if you
> > did it, Pm would make a special place for them on pmwiki.org.
>
> I think the suggestion of creating wikitrails for each application
> is an excellent idea, and I hope to see it happen.  There's already
> a start with the PmWikiAsACMS page, but making it a trail is nicer.
> Another option, as opposed to separate and full PmWiki distributions,
> would be to package related cookbook recipes together into a "CMS bundle",
> "blog bundle", "publishing bundle", etc.  Each bundle would be pre-tested
> and pre-configured with the most common options and skin(s) for that
> application, so that a site administrator could download and install
> PmWiki and a bundle and be ready to go.
:-) And we could come up with some generic format for "bundle packaging"

> I think that overall it's a bit easier to keep the bundles separate
> from the core distribution, if only because we don't have to update
> each bundle each time a new core release is issued.  ("Release early,
> release often" still applies.)
Modular and Speciliazed pieces knit well than having a huge struction.
Some tech philosophy:
pmwiki ==> wiki kernel
  skins ==> wiki os
    cookbook ==> os applications
:-)))

> > > Different people want to use the wiki for different things, so why not
> > > separate (possibly sort?) PITS issues based on use-niche (e.g. CMS,
> > > blog, project development...)
> >
> > Sure.  You can use the category feature to bundle related PITS
> > entries.  Also, once everything is categorized, an "issue map" could
> > be made relatively easily (showing interdependencies among other
> > things).
>
> We can also categorize cookbook recipes.  In fact, this would probably
> be an excellent demonstration of how categories work, which is something
> we've needed on pmwiki.org.
yes, and thanks a lot for unweiling much of the cover from brain knocking docs
on categories.

> And each PITS entry already has a "Category" line -- there's nothing
> to stop that line from begin augmented with additional categorizing
> information.
>
> > > Of course, maybe I'm wrong and we should all concentrate towards
> > > building a unique distribution that does everything for everybody...
> >
> > No. Way.
>
> Amen -- I'm not going there, if only because there are some
> applications and environments that are mutually exclusive.  Plus,
> PmWiki's forte has always customization, not universality.
> However, there's no need for each site to have to reconstruct
> the wheel -- categorizing and bundling recipes and features into
> "best practices for application XYZ" could really help site
> administrators get to where they want to go.
I second.

> Pm
V.Krishn