[pmwiki-users] Re: Perfection and Menus (WAS: onover-bundling) . . .

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 13 21:43:06 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:26:59PM -0800, Fred Chittenden wrote:
>    Of my pet peaves as a webmaster would be to simplify the ease of updates.
>
>    I'd like to see the config file broken up into two files.
>      * Wiki_ID -- for a wiki's identity (URLs, passwords, and other similar
>        rarely changed stuff in the updating process).
>      * Wiki_Config -- for the various frequently configured features of the
>        wiki.  These would be set to the most commonly used settings to reduce
>        webmaster updating overhead.

There's nothing to prevent an admin from setting things up this way.
Simply put all of the "identity" information in a separate config
file (say, local/identity.php), and then add the line

   include_once('local/identity.php');

into the local/config.php file.  PmWiki lets you set up your config
files pretty much however is desired.

However, it's still the case (and will likely always be the case)
that introducing an error into any of the configuration files is
going to cause some things to "stop working".  When that happens,
having more files also means having more places to look for the error,
as well as wondering if it's some strange file interaction that has
caused the error rather than the file itself.  So, I've tended to go
with the single config file approach.