[pmwiki-users] Updating PmWiki (was: Re: Perfection and Menus

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 13 21:58:56 CST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:14:23AM -0800, Fred Chittenden wrote:

> I guess my issue is with upgrading between versions 1 > 2, not updating
> within v2, where new features are added to the config file.  This would of
> course also apply to updating within V2, if new features are added to the
> config file.

Upgrading from v1 to v2 has always been considered (and described)
as something non-trivial to do; indeed, that's the main reason why
they have such a different number.  If upgrading to v2 could be handled
simply or automatically, then I would've called it version 1.1 instead of
2.0.

As mentioned in http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Upgrades, the standard
upgrade procedure for a minor release is to simply copy the new
version over the existing version.  This continues to be true for v2.
For a major release (e.g., 2.0 to 2.1), the admin will often have to
check the release notes before upgrading, but can still copy the new
version over an existing site, much as has happened with 0.3.x to 0.4.0,
0.4.x to 0.5.0, 0.5.x to 0.6.0, and 0.6.x to 1.0.0.

I don't have any plans for a v3 on my horizon, so another upgrade of
the sort that is involved with v1 to v2 isn't something I'm too
concerned about.

> [...]
> This way, those of us with several wikis going at several domains would
> find it easy to stay up with the most recent wiki version.

If the domains are on the same server, then wiki farms are really the
answer to this.  But if they're on separate servers, then there really
is nothing preventing an admin from separating identity and config
information into separate files and doing an appropriate
include_once('...') of the shared information.