[pmwiki-users] phpdiff not working?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 14 11:35:32 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:43:06AM -0800, dan mcmullen wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >As distributed, PmWiki doesn't support simultaneous edits under Windows
> >(because Windows doesn't supply the diff3 program that PmWiki requires
> >to perform the merge).
>
> what is phpdiff.php then?

phpdiff.php performs the page history function -- i.e., the computing
of the differences from one version to the next.  Merging is a step up
from that -- it takes two sets of diffs (produced by phpdiff.php) and
figures out how to combine them together in an intelligent way.

> i'll work on this.  currently, i'm using a PmWiki for a school project
> which runs out of another person's web service and seems to use windoze web
> servers.  convincing them to convince their ISP to install diff3 seems
> problematic.  a pure PHP solution would be good.

I agree -- I'm just not happy enough with the cookbook's PHP diff3 algorithm
to include it in the core distribution (it seems much more complex than
what we need), and I haven't had time or need to figure out how diff3
algorithms works to be able to implement one that I would like.