[pmwiki-users] suggestion for continuously improving PmWiki documentation

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Mar 14 15:39:06 CST 2005

On Tuesday, 15 March 2005 5:06 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 07:00:49PM +1300, Simon wrote:
>> On the PmWiki beta site I started a page called HowDoI,
>> not realising that it would disappear.
>> Perhaps it could be resurrected as a starter for 10.
>> I like the idea of it being a group ...
>
>Well, this is typically what "FAQ" is supposed to be for.
>Unfortunately I continue to have this nagging feeling that
>FAQ, Cookbook, and PITS are all really different faces of the
>same beast, and ought to be addressed that way.

By way of a 'get the ball rolling' idea, it seems to me that
the PmWiki documentation might take a knowledge-base approach.
That is:

- every page can start with a question (Q: markup)

- the rest of the page answers just that question

- a special search page just searches the questions

- a special search results lists pages and their questions

- the special search page lists the 10 most recent questions

- it might also list the 10 most popular questions (somehow)

- it should be possible to combine categories and questions
  to show the question on lists of pages by category

- starting a page with a Q: is optional, of course

My feeling is that the problem is not the documentation
as such (although this can always be improved);
rather it's finding the information I need now.
--
JR