[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Dynamic wiki trails

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Mar 15 17:48:51 CST 2005

On 16 Mar 2005, John Rankin wrote:

> I can't help feeling this may be over-complicated...

Oh, but (:cookie-set ..:) with family is additional features :-)

> Let's recap and see if we can simplify this thing.
>
> The goal is to let an author set up a TrailPage and any pages on the
> trail automatically gain <<|TrailPage|>> navigation.
>
> If a particular page is on more than one trail, it gets more than one
> set of previous / next links.

Ahem... that's actually something I would like to be able to avoid in some
cases.

> Thought: what if we put [[!Trail]] on any trail pages?

Patrick has the point that specifying the name of a this particular
category is not so nice. I agree because of the reason that it'll get
annoying in other languages...

> Then Category.Trail will list all trail pages in the wiki and can
> be used to generate trail navigation for any page. There may be a
> performance issue with big sites, but perhaps there is a way around
> that.

I think we'd all like to be able to generate a trail based on category
pages in general... actually, didn't I suggest that in some other post?
(Funny, I don't remember getting any replies on that topic actually... it
was about making (:pagelist:) exclude pages already listed on the current
page ... or maybe it's just to late and it's bedtime).

> Just trying to come at this from another direction.

Sound ideas, and I think the strategy you just described could be very
useful for some sites. For my particular application I think it'd be too
limited however :-(

/Christian