[pmwiki-users] Re: category output

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 15 20:31:04 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:34:04PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:

> Having started to use categories, I think we need to refine them a
> little more.  They're a great base, but look at
> http://arndis.godsong.org/portfolio/Category/UserExperience.
> Sometimes the existing method creates unwanted references -- in this
> case, to the exact same page that we're on.

No problem here -- the existing category implementation is really
just an attempt to see what could be done with the tools we already
have available, and to attempt to get some experience and examples
to play with so we'd know what to add next.

One of the first things we can add is a fmt=category option
to (:pagelist:), which would exclude the category page itself
and could potentially omit any other pages that are already
listed in a trail on the current page (this achieves Christian's
idea of building trails on category pages, and using the pagelist
feature to catch any trails in the category that aren't explicitly
listed on the trail).

Another option to pagelist will be link=Group.PageName option,
which returns only those pages that contain a link to Group.PageName
(a.k.a. "backlinks").  Thus, one will be able to do

    (:pagelist link=Category.XYZ fmt=category:)

and get a listing that displays only those pages that have links
to Category.XYZ, output in whatever format is best suited for
displaying categories (and somehow omitting the Category.XYZ page
itself).

And once I have the order= option in place, we'll be able to do

   (:pagelist link=Category.XYZ fmt=category order=-date:)

which will display the most recently edited pages of the category
first.  :-)