[pmwiki-users] Merging - Nothing to do for Windows Users

Philippe Krait philippe at krait.net
Wed Mar 16 12:38:33 CST 2005

From: Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org>

>diff3 is an option (or variant) of the diff program, and comes in
>various flavors. You can get it for Windows either by installing Cygwin
>(which emulates enough of a typical Unix environment that the GNU
>utilities will run on them), or by installing the unxutilities from
>http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/; to install just diff, you can also get
>http://www.vikinc.net/share/gnudiffwin32.zip which is contains just the
>diff program.
>Personally, I found the unxutilities diff less of a hassle to install
>than the Cygwin one, and have better performance, but that's just
>anecdotal evidence.

Super. I got the diff3 program from there, and it works.

The only remaining problem is that I don't know how to modify the
$SysMergeCmd command as indicated in the simuledit.php script.

The line:
SDV($SysMergeCmd,"/usr/bin/diff3 -L '' -L '' -L '' -m -E");
appears both in the Merge and MergeSimulEdits functions. So what I have
done, for now, is to change both of these to:
SDV($SysMergeCmd,"C:\WINDOWS\system32\diff3 -L '' -L '' -L '' -m -E");
But it does not seem like the proper solution. So what is the proper oe
(I am sure there is one :)

 > A pure PHP solution would be better. The downside is that writing one
would be a serious task. The upside is that this already has been done,
see http://pear.php.net/package/Text_Diff .

That looks interesting, but a bit too hard to implement for me... :)

Cheers,

Philippe