[pmwiki-users] Re: how teaser text behaves (was: category output)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Mar 17 17:42:49 CST 2005

On Friday, 18 March 2005 10:23 AM, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
>`. is nice and terse, which is double-edged. Not very mnemonic.

Those who remember telegrams know that '.' means STOP.

At the time (from memory) we chose something that is unobtrusive.
It's an 'invisible stop', normally displayed as ''. It's in the same
markup category as '` ' (backtick space) for a non-breaking space.

>Was there a reason why (:teaser PageName arg:) was dropped?

Just history:

T:PageName#anchor and (:para PageName#anchor:) were converted
from pmwiki 1.

>i.e.
>
>(:teaser PageName small:) - '&hellip;'
>(:teaser PageName more:) - '[[$FullName | (more&hellip;)]]]]'
>(:teaser PageName edit:) - '[[$FullName?action=edit | (edit)]]'
>
>>and so on. The teaser script would take care of name
>substitution.
>
>The advantage of this is being clear, explicit.

I think these are actually 2 independent requirements:

- how to treat `. in teaser text, from T:Name (:para Name:) or
  in tool tips; the &hellip; seems like the right thing to do
  -- if there is no `. in the teaser paragraph, nothing happens

- adding a '(more)' (or other language tanslation) or adding an
  '(edit)' (or other language translation) after teaser text

And I think I prefer 'para' to 'teaser'. So if author A
puts `. in a PageName paragraph and author B writes
(:para PageName edit:) you will get:

Here is my starting idea... (edit)

If author C edits PageName to remove the `. you will get:

Here is my starting idea. It can always be improved. (edit)

>You're talking about augmenting MarkupExtensions, right?

Yes. I worry about creeping features and generally adopt a
'when in doubt, leave it out' approach. But I think you are
saying we need the following:

    $ParaMoreFmt = '[[$FullName | (more)]];
    $ParaEditFmt = '[[$FullName?action=edit | (edit)]]';

and adding (:para Name more:) and (:para Name edit:) options.
I'll make these additions and people can try them out.

OTOH, I had expected that one day (:para would disappear
because (:include is now so much richer than it was at
the time [[para:Name#anchor]] was first introduced...

--
JR