improving (:markup:) [ was: Re: [pmwiki-users] block preformat, spaceless?]

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Fri Mar 18 08:38:42 CST 2005

At 2005-03-18  09:04 AM -0500, Russ Fink is rumored to have said:
>Thanks for all your help.  I'm struggling semantically to understand why
>the initial space is necessary, but that's okay, I don't pretend to
>understand things in cookbooks anyway ;-)
>
>I edited the MarkupTricks page and inserted a real code sample, and used
>the @@=]@@ at the end to display the actual code in the wiki page.  No
>(:markup:)'s were harmed in the rendering of the wiki page.
>
>>...snip...
>>
>>I added this nugget to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarkupTricks

Thanks Russ. I *still* really want to know how to display this construct
properly with (:markup:). I suspect only Patrick has the answer.

Since this would be a general problem with any delimiter choice, perhaps
the (:markup:) syntax should be:

         (:markup:) <opening tokens> <content for markup example> <closing
tokens>

where <opening tokens> could be any arbitrary set of characters which would
then be reversed (or more easily, just reused) as the <closing tokens>.
Even if there were just two sets of legal tokens, you could use one set to
enclose the other. Then the only limitation would be the inability to show
both tokens in a markup example.

This is what I want to display using (:markup:):
   [= some code here
more code
more
until you're done, then =]