[pmwiki-users] block preformat, spaceless?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sat Mar 19 20:18:53 CST 2005

At 2005-03-19  05:04 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 01:16:15AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> > Rather than coming up with yet another set of hard-to-remember symbols,
> why
> > not just bite the bullet and do something like:
> >
> > (:code:)
> > line 1
> > line 2
> > etc
> > (:codeend:)
>
>Some questions:
>
>1.  Should (:code:)...(:codeend:) wiki-escape everything that appears
>     inside of it -- i.e., not process the contents for wikiwords,
>     urls, includes, etc.?  One of the advantages of [=...=] is that
>     it's somewhat more clear that wikiwords and other markups aren't
>     being processed.
>
>2.  Assuming we develop a (:div:) markup as per other threads
>     (http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-March/010783.html)
>     to support specialized block stylings, should we instead be using...?
>
>     >>code<<
>     line 1
>     line 2
>     etc
>     >><<
>
>Pm

Some answers:

1. I think it should behave the same way as [=...=]. I can' think of code
examples that would have includes in them, unless they were examples of the
"code" to use to do a PmWiki include, in which case, (:markup:) would be a
much better choice.

2. I far prefer the (:div:) markup to the unreadable and error-inviting
(:codeend:)

3. There is no third answer. ;-)

Neil

Neil Herber