[pmwiki-users] [OT] Strange list DNS issues

Robin robin at kallisti.net.nz
Sat Mar 26 06:15:23 CST 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 23:55, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> That's actually normal. It says that the information that you got is
> from a DNS cache, and that you should ask the machine listed in the NS
Actually, you're probably right there. I just realised that the machine I
checked probably thinks it's an authority for the only other domain I
checked without an MX. (I couldn't think of one except for one I have,
which is a dyndns and is rewritten on the inside of my network to point
to the RFC1918 IP address of the server)

> My guess is that this is a consequence of some other problem (probably
> a configuration issue). Normally, fallback to the A record is not a
> problem. (OTOH it's rare that a machine doesn't have an MX record, so
> you may have triggered a sleeping bug.)
Yeah, tho I'm pretty sure that postfix doesn't have significant bugs on
non-MX domains. It's not quite that rare. Also, if I do a postfix flush
forcing it to recheck the DNS, it goes through (maybe unless whatever the
error is is actually occurring at the time). My guess is that there was
some kind of transient error, and postfix had managed to hit it each time
it tried, causing a really long exponential backoff. Either that or there
is a bug in postfix that means under situation X (that I'm encountering)
it never retries. If it comes up again, I'll chase it up on the
postfix-users list (so far I've only seen it happen twice, I can't
remember if I did a flush to push it through the last time or if I just
left it)

Hmm, I wonder if postfix forgets to recheck the DNS when it fails, and
that leads to the problem.

[To Pm:] I would suggest that pmichaud.com does have an MX defined, and
probably a backup also. If you want a quick and easy (maybe temporary)
one, I can set one up on my system, but it is on a home connection so
it's possible you want something that's likely to be a bit more reliable.

--
Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz>             JabberID: <eythian at jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0xA99CEB6D = 5957 6D23 8B16 EFAB FEF8  7175 14D3 6485 A99C EB6D